The Parents of Infants and Children with Kernicterus is organized exclusively for charitable, scientific and educational purposes. Our primary mission is to prevent ALL new cases of kernicterus through a system-wide change in jaundice management. PICK can be characterized in three words – partnership, prevention and promise. This is our motivation and inspiration.
Our Goals include:
- Develop an effective parent/healthcare partnership model that is family-centered and systems-based for addressing preventable disabilities in newborns
- Prevent kernicterus through a universal system wide program of education, objective screening, follow up, diagnosis and treatment
- Provide information and support to families
- Identify effective therapies and treatment that could improve the quality of life for children and adults with kernicterus
- Implement a structure of accountability for reported cases of hyperbilirubinemia